First of all your thinking why on earth should I tell Microsoft/Apple to shove it? Well reality check we are in a time of very low economic profits which means we are all penny pinching. That’s where Linux comes in.
Know your thinking linux?! What are you mad? No. While most people think its behind on the times, face it your behind on the times!
So lets get to it. Why Linux is your best choice in these times.
- Its F-R-E-E, off the bat that saves you $30-$300 on changing or upgrading to the newest (Snow Leopard, and Windows 7).
- The included software will save you tons on paying for new software. E.G. Photoshop ($600)+Illustrator ($500), and Office ($300)=$1400. Cost for linux $0 (GIMP, Inkscape, OpenOffice/Google Docs).
- If your not in the United States <50% of the price of the software goes there (leaving your country), so it doesn’t help your country’s economy as much as it should.
- Up to $30-$220 savings in ditching your antivirus *unless you install Microsofts Free Antivirus*.
So if you swtich or don’t upgrade you could save a total of $100-$1900. Which would save you enough for a new linux computer.
The same applys above but also needs more such as;
- Ubuntu server os is free! Redhat, and opensuse are remarkably cheaper then the $1000-$4000 seen from windows server editions.
- Ubuntu/others os on desktops is free! Thats $200-$300 saving for EACH computer. The more you have the higher savings you get.
- Online support is free, Phone support is cheap. Microsoft support can costs hundreds per hour if you need help from them.
- Ubuntu/others have lower hardware requirements which means you can choose to not upgrade longer.
- Ubuntu/others get a new release every 7 months which means its always fresh. Don’t like the fast updates? Extended versions last up to 5 years and are refreshed every year.
- A simpler os, and no licensing issues means it can really free up your IT department.
So if your finding it hard to pay for your computer related costs follow the list, and read where this came from on the link below.
Credits to Why Linux is better for inspiring this post.